Classwize allows Teachers to create local classes from their My Classes dashboard in Classwize. With Local classes you can add or remove students and teachers, create schedules, and create class-specific filtering rules.
There are different types of classes in Classwize. Find out more about class types.
This is an optional feature that needs to be activated for your school. If the ADD CLASS button doesn't appear on your Classwize toolbar, it means that your school has chosen not to enable this feature.
Creating a new local class
- On the My Classes dashboard, select + ADD CLASS.
- The Create a new class dialog appears. Enter a descriptive class name.
- Select the class mode:
- Teaching Mode (default): you have full control of the class, including creating rules, using Class Tools, and interacting with your students.
- Monitor Mode: you can only observe students and modify who is in the class.
- (Optional) Toggle Invitation Code to generate an invitation code that lets you invite students to join your class.
- Select SAVE. The class tile for your new class will now appear on the dashboard.
Adding students to a local class
- Go to the My classes dashboard and select the Settings icon on the relevant class tile.
- The Class settings dialog will appear, showing the Students tab. Enter the student’s name or email address in the Class Membership field.
- A list of names will appear as you type. Select the student’s names.
TIP: Repeat steps 3-4 to add more students to the class.
- Select SAVE.
You can always add or remove students from the class. See Managing Students in a Class for more information.
Adding teachers to a local class
You can add more teachers to your class. Additional teachers can be teaching assistants or trainees, substitute teachers, or another member of the teaching staff. Additional Teachers will have the same controls and privileges as the original teacher.
- Select the Settings icon on the class tile.
- The Class settings dialog will appear. Select the Teachers tab. Enter the teacher’s name or email address in the Teacher(s) of this class field.
- A list of names will appear as you type. Select the name of the teacher you want to add.
TIP: Repeat steps 2-3 to add more teachers to your class.
- Select SAVE.
When the teacher has been added, they can see the class on their My Classes dashboard. If the new class doesn’t appear on their dashboard, they may need to wait a few moments and then refresh their browser.
Adding schedule to a local class
Creating a schedule means that this class will run during the scheduled times. Students will be also affected by the Rules of that class every time it is in session.
See Scheduling Classes for more information and instructions on creating class schedules.
Classwize does not know when your public holidays or school breaks are, or if the students are supposed to be in another teacher’s class. Please ensure that your schedules are for the actual times when your students should be in your class.
Inviting students to a new local class using invitation codes
Classwize allows teachers to generate a 4-digit Invite Code to add students into their Classwize classroom. Students can use the code to temporarily join that class, even if they aren’t normally part of it.
See Inviting Students to Your Class With a Code for more information.
Troubleshooting and FAQ
I can’t create a new class.
Your school may not have enabled this feature. Please contact your school’s IT support if you want to find out more about which Classwize features can be enabled in your school. See Classwize Feature Availability for Teachers for more information.
I can’t find a student in the list.
The student’s details may not be in School Manager, which is the system Classwize checks to see if a student is or isn’t enrolled. Please contact your IT support team. See Managing Students in a Class for more information on how to add or remove students from your classes.
I made a mistake and want to remake my local class.
- Select the Class Settings icon on the relevant class tile.
- On the Class Settings dialog, select DELETE CLASS.
- A prompt will appear, asking if you want to delete the class. Select DELETE.
- Create a new class again.
I can’t add another teacher to my class
Ensure you are inviting the other teacher from the Class Settings > Teachers tab. If you still can’t locate the teacher’s name, contact your IT support to check if their details are correct in School Manager.
I can't create a new class because the name already exists.
Classwize doesn’t allow duplication of class names. To avoid duplication of names, we recommend using a more descriptive name for your class. For example: “grade 5 english - room 3” or “grade 6 mathematics - ms. smith”.
How many students can I have in a class?
You can have up to 99 students in one class.
How many classes can I make?
There is no limit on the number of classes Teachers can create in Classwize. However, we suggest keeping this number to a manageable level to avoid performance degradation.
Can I assign multiple teachers to a class?
Yes, you can assign multiple teachers to one class. Its class tiles will appear on the teachers’ respective My classes dashboards, and when they open that class, they can:
- start, extend, or end the class
- manage students in the class
- see the student tiles and access Live View
- use all the class tools that have been enabled for the school by their IT administrator
- generate Student Journey or Screenshot History reports
- add Classwize rules
Please sign in to leave a comment.