About the Screenshot History Report
The Classwize Screenshot History Report lets you generate and download screenshots of your students’ browsing history. Screenshots appear on the report 30 seconds after being taken, and are captured in 10-second intervals or each time a student views another tab.
The Screenshot History Report captures your student’s browsing history only while they are in an active Classwize class. You can view screenshots of your students’ browsing history that were taken from any active classes they were in over the past 14 days, even if those classes are run by other teachers.
This is an optional feature that your school’s IT team can enable in School Manager.
The Screenshots History Report is currently available on Linewize Connect for Chrome and Windows. It’s currently not available on Connect for macOS.
Generating a student’s Screenshot History Report
- In Classwize, open a class the student is enrolled in.
- On the class toolbar, select Reports > Screenshot History.
- On the Screenshot History dialog:
- Select the student’s name from the Select a Student drop-down.
- Select the period covered by the report on the date picker.
Period covered Steps Previous date
Select its date twice.
You can limit the report to specific hours by selecting the From and To dropdowns, or select All Day to include all screenshots taken on the previous date.
Date range (e.g., 5 consecutive days or 2 weeks) Select the start date followed by the end date. Current date
Leave the date picker on the default date (“Today”).
A number of hours within current date
Leave the date picker on the default date (“Today”), then select the hours from the From and To drop-downs.
- Select Apply.
- Select Search. The student's Screenshot History Report will appear on the Screenshot History panel.
Select the student’s name and the time period to generate their Screenshot History Report.
Understanding the Screenshot History Report
Screenshot History data
You can sort the Report data by:
- Date: The date (and time) the screenshot was taken
- Activity: For students using Connect for Chrome, Screenshot History will show the URLs or domains of the sites that they visited. For students using Connect for Windows or macOS, Screenshot History will show the domains of all open tabs. It will also include non-browsing activities, like opening desktop folders and applications.
- Duration: The amount of time that the student spent on the screen or URL.
Screenshot History Report data
Select View for each site the students has visited to display the screenshots in further detail. Classwize takes a screenshot of the student’s screen every 10 seconds or each time the student opens another site, window, or application.
- Screenshot collection of: indicates which site the student has visited and how long they visited the site.
- Time stamp: a screenshot taken of the site every 10 seconds.
- Open in Full Screen: select to view the screenshot in full screen.
- Download Screenshots.zip: select to download the screenshots into your local or shared drive.
Chrome and Windows screenshot differences
Screenshots differ depending on the version of Connect that your student uses.
- Connect for Chrome or Chromebook: Screenshots only show the contents of the student’s browser.
- Connect for Windows: Screenshots show the student’s full desktop, including browsing (e.g. watching YouTube videos) and non-browsing (e.g. opening a Word document) activities and desktop toolbars, widgets, and menus.
- Select View to show the student’s screenshot collection.
- On the Screenshot Collection dialog:
- Select the Time Stamp to preview the screenshot that Classwize captured at that specific time.
- Select Open in Full Screen to display the screenshot in full screen.
- Select Download Screenshots.zip to download the collection of related screenshots into your local folder.
- Unzip the downloaded screenshots. See the steps for unzipping files in Windows, Chromebook, macOS.
- Open a file in the unzipped folder to view the screenshot.
How long does it take for Screenshot History to generate the report?
It can take a few seconds to create the report depending on the number of screenshots that have to be generated and the time period covered by the report. If you encounter delays in generating the Screenshots History, try selecting a shorter period or refresh your browser. If it’s still taking a long time, contact your school’s IT support.
What timeframe does the Report cover?
Screenshot History Report keeps screenshots of a student’s browsing history from the past 14 days, including the current day. New screenshots appear on the report within 30 seconds.
Is Screenshot History available on all device types?
The Screenshot History Report is currently available for schools who use Connect for Chrome, Chromebook or Windows. This feature is not available on macOS.
I don’t have access to Screenshots History. What should I do?
The Screenshot History Report is an optional Classwize feature and your school may not have given you access to it. Please contact your school’s IT Administrator for assistance.